Monday, July 5, 2010

Le Jog 2010 - Aftermath

Just a short update as I thought it was interesting to look back on the end-to-end ride and let you know the impact it’s had on my body! Unfortunately since the end of the ride I've been experiencing some pretty nasty muscle cramps, to the extent that the longest I've managed to stay on a bike without being forced off due to pain is 8 minutes! I guess I've got to allow my body a bit of a protest after putting it through such an intense week though. The ride was monstrously hard, the prevailing wind let us down as we faced a headwind for 6 days out of 7, and our bodies were pushed to limits they'd never evencontemplated before. After 7 days (54 hours, 38 minutes and 13 seconds in the saddle), 908 miles (average speed 16.6mph), and 13,133 metres climbed (who knew how hilly GB is - that's 1.5 times the height of Mount Everest) we rolled into John O'Groats broken men. For the last few days of the ride pretty much every bodily part hurt - knees, back, neck, thighs, quads, calves, feet, wrists. My stomach was ok, but when we arrived in John O'Groats at 7.30pm after a monster 135 mile day into a fierce coastal headwind and discovered that we couldn't have a photo next to the famous sign because they take it down at 5pm to stop people dodging the £10 photo fee I was almost sick. So you can add stomach to the list too.

I’ve been along to the hospital to speak to a doctor and a physio about the muscle problems I’ve been getting. Pretty much all of my leg muscles are currently prone to seizing and spasming at any given time. I was fine for the first couple of days after the ride, with just a few aches and pains, but after driving back to Sheffield and being cooped up in the car for a long time I really started suffering. Walking became hazardous and cycling was definitely not possible! It’s definitely easing off as the days go by, but I guess my legs are in some kind of a state of shock. It’s not a haemophilia problem, and I’m sure it’ll wear off soon, but I think it shows that with a full time job it’s very difficult to fully prepare your body for such an event. Probably I should have carried on spinning on the bike on the days immediately after finishing though, to loosen things up and to wind down gently – so that’s my advice for anyone else considering doing something like this!


Thanks again to everyone for all the money you gave, it definitely kept us going during some of the tough sections. We were shocked by how much we raised.

No comments: